Innovation or convention?
Innovation | The act of making changes to something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas, or products.
Convention | A way in which something is usually done.
How many times have you sat in a meeting or a professional environment & someone has said to you “we’ve always done it this way” or “We can’t change that, this is how we do it”? We’ve been there too! It’s super difficult to encourage people to change & even the basics of human psychology tell us that encouraging people to change their actions, opinions or thoughts is difficult.
From that, then brings a challenge; and if there’s one thing we like, it’s a challenge!
Case Study | Hesley Wood
Hesley Wood is a gorgeous 130+ acres of natural woodland, situated in Sheffield.
In terms of a marketable ‘product’, Hesley Wood is amazing – teaming with activities, essentially pre-defined target audience & an executive team that is now open to the opportunities on offer.
Since taking over their marketing we have…
- Implemented a new website, fully optimised for all devices, with GA (Google Analytics) tracking.
- Implemented an online ‘shop’ for their events, with tickets & payment all ‘on-site’.
- Implemented new channels including Instagram & Twitter.
- Improved social media engagement by 36% QoQ, particularly on Facebook. (Engagement incl. likes, comments & shares)
- Created & implemented an online virtual tour for various aspects of the site at the request of the executive team.
The reason we’ve chosen this case study is because, initially, this client remained rather ‘stagnant’ & prior to us taking control of their sites – had remained ‘static’ in terms of improvements to their marketing for a long time.
Initially, we came up against a wall of caution & trepidation, lines such as ‘we don’t want to ruin our reputation’ or ‘we need to be careful, don’t go changing too much’.
By all means, implementing change & innovating is not about ignoring concerns or belittling people due to their concern about change. It’s about taking these people with you – proving to them that your new strategy/concept/opportunity is one that will really take you their company places.
So, moving forward it’s time to innovate, creatively! Take people with you on the journey and take a step out of the corporate comfort zone!